This episode starts off with a Rocketman competition, courtesy of Paramount Home Media (here is the prize pack that's up for grabs) before the main event, an interview with Anett Murray, wife of Dee Murray, and a big part of the Elton John family during the first half of the seventies.
Anett tells us some fascinating stories of life at home and on the road with Dee. I would like to thank her for sharing her memories with the podcast. Add in some wonderful music, and we have here a very special episode!
The photograph that Anett mentions, of her wedding day, can be found here. If you're on Facebook, consider joining the 'Induct Nigel, Davey and Dee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame' group. There are countless wonderful pictures like this one, and you can also help the cause for these musicians to be properly recognised for the enormous contribution that they made to Elton's music.
The songs that are excerpted in the episode are as follows:
- You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover - Bo Diddley, 1962
- I'm In A Different World - The Four Tops, 1968
- (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher - Jackie Wilson, 1967
- Space Oddity (Vocal, Drums and Bass only) - David Bowie, 1969
- And The Gods Came Down - The Spencer Davis Group, 1970
- Sitting Doing Nothing - Elton John, 1968
- Take Me To The Pilot (BBC Live Session) - Elton John, 25th June 1970
- Burn Down the Mission (Live Fillmore East) - Elton John, 21st November 1970
- Jawbone - The Band, 1969
- Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (Live Hammersmith Odeon) - Elton John, 23rd December 1973
- Philadelphia Freedom (Live Central Park) - Elton John, 13th September 1980
- Burning Buildings - Elton John, 1984
- Rocket Man (Keys, Guitars and Bass only) - Elton John, 1972.
The email address to enter the competition is email@example.com. Unlike what I say in the episode, the competition is in fact open to residents of the US or Canada.